Eating berries in winter is good for your health
As a company specialising in strawberry plants, we could make no other recommendation. The specialists among our team champion eating this fruit family we all know and love.
The berry family, including strawberries and raspberries, with which we work closely at Viveros California, are great for boosting energy in winter. In today’s article, we’re going to explain why berries are beneficial for your health
Nutritionists have nothing but praise for berries and recommend that eating a cup of berries a day could considerably improve our health. Berries such as strawberries, blackberries, cranberries and raspberries all boast high vitamin, flavonoid and antioxidant content. These properties all help reduce cholesterol, improve cardiovascular health and slow down cell ageing. Did you know that experts say fruit with more intense colour have a higher nutritional value? So always look out for the ones with the strongest colour!
As strawberry plant specialists, we have extensive knowledge of everything about berries, since strawberries are the star of the show in our work every day. Our constant contact with this fruit enables us to really understand it and its characteristics. We have learnt that it is rich in vitamin C, iron, magnesium, ascorbic acid and antioxidants. Another curious fact is that the little dots on the outside of the strawberry are actually tiny seeds.
Winter is a great time to eat berries since our bodies’ defences are often less prepared for extreme temperatures and situations.
That’s why we have created a list of the benefits this energy boosting fruit family can give you and your loved ones.
BERRY BENFITS: A PERFECT WINTER FRUIT
- Given their high vitamin C content, berries increase collagen creation, which help slow down the appearance of wrinkles in cold weather, leaving your skin feeling soft and hydrated.
- Raspberries have a high ellagic acid content, an antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties that will also help stop your skin going red in very cold weather.
- Also, thanks to their high folic acid content, raspberries are very beneficial and recommended during pregnancy, alleviating issues that could be associated with temperature changes.
- Strawberries are 90% water, a component our bodies need at any time of the year but more in winter when temperature changes are more drastic and we go from hot to cold in short spaces of time.
- Strawberries are one of our best allies for regulating blood sugar, as well as fighting free radicals.
- Berries generally reduce our risk of heart disease and high blood pressure. What’s more, they increase the ‘good’ cholesterol our bodies need.
- They also stand out because they are rich in fibre and low in calories. They’re super healthy!
As strawberry plant experts, we recommend eating this type of fruit throughout the year, as we all deserve their benefits.